Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lent week 2

Psalm: Psalm 22: 23-31
Old Testament: Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16
Gospel: Mark 8:31-38
Epistle: Romans 4:13-25


Well, here we are the first week of March, I can’t believe it! Tornado season has already started in the Midwest. This is also the second week of Lent; already those Lenten commitments are becoming a burden. For me, I definitely want to sleep-in and then when I do wake up it is easier to read the newspaper instead of reading my Lent devotional and Bible.  My prayer is that we will continue to draw near to God during this season.


We have some interesting themes in this week’s passages.  Genesis 17 I think is the third time Abraham is called and met by the Lord.  But in this chapter, for the first we get circumcision as the mark of the covenant.  The story of Abraham is no secret to us, but let me just point that Abraham will be the father of “nations.” This calling and promise to Abraham comes just a few verses, but actually 14 years, after the birth of his son Ismael.  Ishmael and Isaac both become fathers of nations in their own right.  Genesis plays this story out by telling the genealogy of Ishmael at Abraham’s death in chapter 25.


The Story of Abraham is picked up in Romans by Paul.  In this section Paul is arguing that faith is what is required to be a part of the family of God, not circumcision, following the Law, or being a Jew.  In fact argues Paul, Abraham the very Father of Israel was neither circumcised nor a follower of the Law because neither had been instituted at the time. 


 I’m trying to understand Paul’s argument here.  If we look back to the original call of Abraham (Gen. 12), he isn’t called because of faith or righteousness.  There is absolutely no reason given why Abraham, out of all the people on the earth, should be called.  In fact, if we go back to chapter 11 he leaves his homeland to go to Canaan because he is following his dad.  He doesn’t do it because God asks him.  When Genesis says, “It was credited to him as righteousness,” (15:6) this is in response to God reaffirming his covenant for the second time.  But, if we actually look at the story, Abraham has continually messed up.  First, he tells the pharaoh in Egypt his wife Sarai is his sister, which he well do again, and then he sleeps with his concubine Hagar because he doesn’t think God can use Sarai to have a child.  Abraham seems to actually have little faith in God to accomplish his promises and takes things into his own hands.


 But, despite the fact that I think Paul’s argument is a bit confusing and convoluted, he makes the right point.  In no way is Abraham called or justified because of his good works. (4:2-3) It was grace alone that saved Abraham on God’s initiative.  Still, we must deal with the statement in Genesis and Romans that “Abraham believed, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”  As we read Genesis, we see that Abraham messed up, he wasn’t perfect, but still he did believe in God.  It reminds me of the man in Mark 9:24 who said, “I believe, help my unbelief.”  Abraham does belief, but he needs the Lord to save him from his unbelief.


 I think this is a good word for us today. Lord I believe, but help my unbelief.  This is a part of the journey we all walk as we grow in faith.


 Well I intended to discuss natural theology in this post but that hasn’t even come up and I’m afraid I probably haven’t made much sense as it is, so I better leave that for a later day.  But I encourage you to compare verse 15 from this chapter of Romans with what Paul says earlier in 1:19-20 and in 2:14.  What does Paul mean when he says, “And where there is no law there is no transgression?”  Does that agree with what he says in chapter 1 and 2? Food for thought.


 I know I didn’t discuss our Gospel reading from Mark, and what can be more interesting than Peter being called Satan.  Alas, time and space dictate I choose what to discuss and this didn’t seem to fit into any theme from our other passages. 


 Let me know if you have any questions or comments.  Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment